2:30 pm Update: As anticipated, Patrol closed most of the natural snow trails today as the warmer temps and r-word moved in this afternoon. Luckily it's expected to turn to HEAVY snow not too long after lift ops wrap for the day and we're currently expecting 1-2 feet by Tuesday morning.
Looking ahead to Lifts Ops this week, the current plan is (all subject to change):
Monday 12/12: 3 lifts from 9am to 4pm (Mighty Mite, Vista and Snowflake Lifts). Decent chance we'll start Monday with same trails we end Sunday with, but hopeful we'l lbe able to get some more natural terrain reopened over the course of the day. That said, we're expecting heavy winds Monday that could impact lift operations. We will be performing scheduled maintenance on Mid Mountain Lift Monday and perhaps into Tuesday.
Tuesday 12/13: 4 lifts with staggered starts from 9am to 4pm (Vista, Snowflake, Might Mite and Mid Mountain). Mid Mountain likely on a delayed opening. Trail expansion is not likely to be instantaneous Tuesday morning, but will make it happen as fast as we can.
Wednesday 12/14: 5 Lifts with staggered starts from 9am to 4pm (Vista, Wilderness, Mid Mountain, Snowflake and Mighty Mite, conditions permitting). Is this the day we get back to Saturday trail/lift counts? Maybe... you know where to stay tuned to find out, right? Riiiiiight?!?!? ;)
Back to the heavy snow and winds we're expecting tonight through Monday night... Buckle up! Though we could see anywhere from 1 to 2 feet of fresh snow it will be heavy and wet to start and though it could get us back to our Saturday glory - 50+ trails & 5 lifts - by as soon as Wednesday, we thank you in advance for your patience as we dig out and put things back together. Our Mountain Ops team has been straight crushing it the last week+, but please recognize we are a small team and folks have been busting their butts flat out this past week. We will do absolutely everything we can to expand terrain as fast as we can. But again, patience and an attitude of gratitude will be so very much appreciated so we can all keep the vibe alive together. You with us? We can't do it without you!
Though we may need some extra time to weather this storm, we will do our best in the blizzard like conditions Monday to offer some skiable terrain, but savvy folks are skipping Monday and eying Tuesday and Wednesday. We don't blame you. Monday looks like a bonafide bonanza of digging out, wind holds and potential power outages widespread across the region if we're being honest. But you do you and we'll do our best to keep you posted throughout it all right here via the refresh button.
Next substantive update Monday morning after sunrise and early mountain assessments. Stay tuned.
7am update: It's been another heckuva week on the hill with the last couple days feeling more like early February than early December. Although we finished Saturday with nearly 50 trails, we anticipate there will be a lot of ropes going back up on natural terrain (hopefully just for a day or two) over the course of today as warmer temps, wind and rain move in this afternoon. There may be some nice soft turns to be had out there this morning before the big storm moves in and we'll do our best to keep up with Patrol as they assess terrain over the course of the morning and afternoon. Chances are we'll be mostly (if not entirely) on snowmaking/groomed terrain by the end of the skiing and riding day today. But you won't catch us complaining. What a freaking start to the season!
So the plan is to start the day with the same 5 lifts as yesterday with Vista, Snowflake and Mighty Mite strating at 9, Mid Mountain at 9:30 and Wilderness at 10. Temps are expected to be in the low 40s across most of the mountain for most of the day. As the rain moves in, so to does strong winds that could impact lift operations.
With the exception of the beginner top-to-bottom groomed trail Sherman’s Pass, Vista and Wilderness terrain will again be for advanced/expert skiers and riders only. Or as our new Patrol Director likes to say, for “adventure skiers and riders.” Other than Sherman’s it’s all ungroomed, natural snow as that snow's not currently deep enough for our big grooming machines. It may appear groomed in places, but that’s just the “human grooming” from the last week of skiing and riding. It is, after all, still early season and relatively low tide out there on the natural snow, so please beware of rocks, stumps, water bars, grass, gravel and other early season thin cover natural hazards. If you have rock skis, well, might be a good choice for some of the open terrain off the top of the mountain. That said, we’re anticipating a lot of this terrain will be closing by the end of the day, if not sooner as the r-word moves in later today.
On the plus side, this afternoon's r-word quickly turns to snow this evening... and A LOT of snow, by the looks of it. Anywhere from one to two feet by the looks of it in fact. Alhtough today's weather (both wind and rain in the afternoon) could impact the natural snowpack and lift operations it seems but a temporary blip on the early season bounty of snow that has been coming wave after wave the last few weeks.
And though Sunday funday may start soft and springlike and end with wet heavy snow under foot, any lost ground today seems like it will be more than made up for with Monday's snow. That said, if you're looking for the optimal ski day to capitalize on this massive storm, may we recommend Tuesday? This is going to come in dense with A LOT of wind and in fact the current forecasted wind directions / velocities could impact lift operations at points in the next couple of days. Tuesday on the other hand... she's a powder peach!
We'll do our best to keep you up-to-the-minute right here as Patrol and Mountain Operations weathers the storm, but as with any massive weather event, a little patience will go a long way these next couple days. We'll do our best to clear snow and keep things moving through this borderline blizzard, but unless winds subside substantially from the forecast, terrain availability will likely be somewhat limited through Monday. Don't say we didn't warn ya... Did we mention Tuesday?
1. To get the best price (and skip the line at the Ticket Cube), buy your lift tickets online in advance. You can simply reload to your existing card's WTP # (for free) OR if you need a new BV MTN Card simply pay the $5 at checkout and your confirmation email will have a "Voucher" attached to it with a QR code you can scan at the automated Pick Up Box on the clocktower side of the Rental Shop. Simply scan code and your BV MTN Card will print for you and you're on you way. Easy breezy lemon squeezy.
Shop Lift Tickets HERE starting from $25 for Night Skiing and $39 for days.
2. All season pass types valid all hours/days during early season (through Sun 12/17, aka Santa Sunday). For example – your Night Pass is good during all daytime hours and your Midweek Pass is good during weekends.
Nordic / Backcountry / Uphill:
3 Nordic Trails Open Today - "Rolled," but not classicly groomed/tracked due to a mechanical issue. Enjoy!
Wilderness Designated Uphill Route is OPEN.
Timberline Uphill Route currently closed.
Friendly reminders regarding uphill:
- Currently for advanced skiers and riders only.
- No uphill EVER permitted to top of Vista Peak. Please stay on designated uphill route.
- Sorry, no dogs!
- No snowshoes or boot packing permitted on the designated uphill route.
- You must have a valid ticket or pass.
Buy NBU (Nordic/backcountry/uphill) Tickets HERE or NBU Season Pass HERE